What to expect from this release ? well, basically:
- The new improved extreme core (things will go faster)
- Smaller generated code for sketches
- Upload-to-RAM feature
- New timer infrastructure (means, PWM on steroids)
- Easier to tailor to your own needs
- New VGA interfaces
- Optional I2C (integration from OpenCores)
- Faster SmallFS implementation
- Arduino 1.0 IDE
- Eventually more memory... this depends on the board itself.
- Per-board variants (like I2C, VGA)
- Audio chips!! YM2149, Pokey and SID. Note that due to these "chip" sizes, it might not fit your FPGA.
- Papilio Plus support (S6LX4 for now)
- New DMA interface (not controller). It's used for VGA, so it can use regular memory as framebuffer.
- Better external memory integration. This one is still under test, but might make it.
- PWM have now 2 comparators (low and high). Also you can add as much PWM as you wish per timer.
- Decreased serial FIFO: means, more block ram memory available.
- Other goodies. See official repo branch for more details.
As always, feel free to send in your comments to email@example.com.
PS: Did I told you I will also publish a ZX-Spectrum VGA compatible output, and that it will be accompanied by a "arduino sketch" Jet Set Willy game engine implementation (not a 100% implementation, but close) ? Yes, it's true. And you can have fun making your own maps, sprites and variants!. I'm just finishing some documentation, so you can go and make it a 100% implementation if you wish.